Europe News Desk!!! The death toll from a head-on collision between two trains in central Greece three days ago has risen to 38, while 57 people remain hospitalised. The Greek Fire Service has given this information. Six people have been admitted to intensive care. Greek fire service spokesman Vassilios Vatharkogiannis told a press briefing that the death toll was expected to rise as search and rescue operations were still underway near the city of Larissa. Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said in a televised address to the nation on Wednesday evening that most of the victims in Greece’s worst-ever train crash were young. The Greek prime minister said Giorgos Gerapatritis, the country’s Minister of State, will serve as transitional infrastructure and transport minister until the general election in spring, following the resignation of Kostas Karamanlis, Xinhua news agency reported.
An independent, cross-party committee of experts will also be set up to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident and probe the delay in the implementation of railway projects. Mitsotakis said two officials of the national railway have resigned. He said an investigation into the cause of the disaster had been launched, adding that information so far indicated it was caused by human error. Kostas Zenidounias, president of the Train Drivers’ Association, told ERT that there were old shortcomings in railway operations, which should be addressed. Three days of national mourning has been declared in the country.
World News Desk!!